What is Lasik Eye Surgery?
The full form is Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis(Lasik).
Lasik eye surgery is a laser eye surgery used to correct the eye’s refractive error. It eliminates the dependency upon Spectacles over the eye. It is recommended by most ophthalmologists.
If you have any one of the following conditions, you need to go through the surgery.
- Myopia- also called Nearsightedness , a condition in which near objects appear clear, but objects which are at a distance look blurry.
- Hyperopia, also called Farsightedness, is a condition in which you can see objects clearly at a distance but appear blurry in near vision.
- Astigmatism: a condition in which the precise front level of the eye is different from your normal eye shape.
- Presbyopia: a condition in which the eye’s lens stops focusing light correctly on the retina.
Refractive Error: blurriness that appears during the vision of your eye.
Procedure Of Lasik Surgery?
These are the following steps for the procedure.
Before the procedure:
- Stop using contact lenses: Before the surgery begins, you need to stop using contact lenses. Because these contact lenses change the shape of the cornea of your eye, it must be done one week before your surgery begins.
- Avoid Eye makeup: Before the surgery, avoid eye makeup, lotion, cream, perfume, etc.
- Avoid Alcohol: Before the surgery, you should avoid alcohol. Because alcohol or smoking can make your eyes feel sleepy and tired. You can drink a lot of water to keep your eyes hydrated.
- Avoid Caffeine: you need good sleep before and after your surgery. So using Caffeine makes it challenging to sleep.
Lasik Surgery Working:
In the refractive error, your cornea and eye lens refract light onto your retina. In this laser procedure, your eye surgeon will change the shape of your cornea so that the light correctly reflects on the retina. As a result, you will be able to see clearly and perfectly.
It takes less than 30 minutes.
Surgery is conducted at a laser center.To cross-check you as an eligible candidate, they will check your cornea and pupil size, then measure the refractive error to ensure that your eyes are perfectly healthy. There are two types of surgery in Lasik, i.e,mechanical and laser. But laser surgery has a success rate over mechanical. So laser is preferable in Lasik.
Then they proceed with their equipment. First, they give you a sedative to start their procedure. You will see a Lasik machine connected to a microscope and a computer.
Once you settle in that room, eye surgeons will put eye drops in your eye. First, they put an eyelid holder which stops your eyes from blinking. Then they will make a very thin flap on your cornea. After some time, they start their process with the Lasik machine. You will be said to stare at a particular light. Then they shape your cornea to refract light correctly. Laser light might contain some irritating ticking sounds. At last, the flap is removed, and surgery is completed successfully.
It is a painless surgery. The safety rate is 100%. The success rate of this Lasik surgery is 96%.
After the Procedure:
After the surgery,
- Someone should be there with you to drive you home. Make someone available for this.
- You need complete sleep, so try to sleep as much as possible.
- Avoid Caffeine
- Stop rubbing eyes
Cost Of the surgery
The cost of Lasik Surgery ranges between 30,000 – 80,000 for both eyes. The price can be extended up to 1 lakh depending upon various sectors.
This surgery may be expensive for most people because health insurance does not cover it. Since there is a success rate of 96 percent, the failure rate lies between less than 4 percent. But the failure rate is infrequent.
People should consult their health doctor before going through the procedure.